- 2 Zucchini
- 1 egg white or substitute, such as flax “egg”
- ¼ Cup almond milk
- ½ Cup flour
- ½ Cup seasoned breadcrumbs (or plain breadcrumbs seasoned with thyme, oregano, and garlic powder)
- ¼ Cup grated parmesan cheese or vegan equivalent
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut zucchini into half-inch thick strips, about 4 inches long.
- Get out three dishes. In the first dish, mix flour with salt and pepper. In the second dish, put egg white and milk; whisk together to blend. In the third dish, mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, (and spices if using plain breadcrumbs).
- Toss zucchini in the flour, then in the egg white. Let excess egg and milk mixture drip off of zucchini pieces as much as possible, then toss in breadcrumbs.
- Place zucchini onto parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure that the pieces do not touch one another.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray, and bake 10 for minutes.
- Flip zucchini pieces over and cook 10 minutes more, or until golden brown and crispy.
For our version, we used plain breadcrumbs seasoned with fresh thyme and oregano from the garden, as well as garlic powder.
Tip: Using smaller zucchini will usually mean less seeds, which will help with the texture of the fries.
To make this recipe vegan, use an egg replacement such as flax egg for the breading, and use a vegan cheese or nutritional yeast in place of parmesan cheese. We also used almond milk, which worked really well.