- ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoons baking soda
- 1-½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease light colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
The original recipe suggests reducing baking time by 2 minutes or so if using a non-stick and/or dark colored cookie sheet. Our cookies tend to come out a tad darker than the ones in the original recipe photos at whipperberry.com, but the texture is still great.
Recipe adapted from whipperberry.com.