- 1/3 C All purpose flour
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 5 TBS Unsalted butter
- 1/2 C Currants
- 1/2 C + 1 TBS Milk
- 1/4 C Sour cream
- 1 Egg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Shift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt over a large mixing bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to work in butter until clumps are about pea-sized.
- Stir in currants.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 C milk and the sour cream.
- Add milk and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients all at once.
- Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overwork the dough or else scones will be tough.
- Flour hands to help prevent sticking and form dough into balls about 2 inches in size.
- Place on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet, slightly flattening as they are set into place.
- Mix egg with 1 TBS milk and brush over the tops of the unbaked scones.
- Let scones stand with egg wash for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops and edges of scones are light golden brown.
These scones are especially tasty when paired with raspberry or strawberry jam.
These can be made with almond milk with yummy results, however, the resulting texture will be more bread-like than when made with conventional milk.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.