- 1 stick unsalted sweet cream butter, soft to slightly melted
- 1 TBSP vanilla (the brown kind, Adam’s Best-Adam’s Extract seems to work well) 🙂
- 2 ⅛ TBSP granulated sugar
- ½ TBSP powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 1/16 tsp salt (a pinch)
- 1 ½ tsp nonfat half & half
- 1 cups unbleached flour
- ¾ cup – 1 cup (prior to chopping) shelled pecans or pecan halves
- POST BAKING: Place 2 cups (or eyeball amount needed) powdered confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl
Ingredient info: Finely chop pecans in a food processor, just be sure not to over-chop; small pecan bits & pieces is the goal.
- Preheat oven to 340-350°.
- Mix all ingredients (except “post baking” powdered confectioner’s sugar) with a mixer-adding the pecans last.
- Place powdered confectioner’s sugar
- Scoop out the mixture and roll into TBSP sized (or slightly smaller) balls. Placed balls on lightly greased cookie sheet (I just use a basic non-stick spray). Do not overcrowd the cookie sheet.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Drop oven temp to 310-320°, leaving oven door open to reduce temp more quickly (takes about 1 minute). Once dropped, close oven door and cook on new temp for 6 minutes.
- Drop oven temp to 300°, leaving door open again. Once dropped, close oven door and cook on new temp for 10 minutes.
- Immediately take balls out of oven and roll them in the “post baking” powdered confectioner’s sugar till they are coated on all sides.
- Place coated “snowballs” onto a cooling rack a couple inches apart. Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Coat snowballs once more in powdered confectioner’s sugar then let them rest until they are completely cooled.
- Enjoy! Place leftovers in sealed container and store in a dry place (no refrigeration).
It is easy to overcook these little guys so be very attentive to oven temps when baking and adjusting. Sarah suggests doubling the recipe.