This delectable dessert can be made with plums, or with berries. We’ve found it to be the most delicious with blackberries! For our vegan friends, substitute the butter with vegan butter spread and use an egg replacer, such as flax egg or Ener-G Egg Replacer.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Sticks butter, very cold
- 1 Egg yolk2 lb. Plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise, (or equivalent of another fruit or berry)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Dice the butter. Make sure it’s very cold and straight out of the fridge.
- Combine the flour, walnuts, and sugar in a food processor or mixer. Add the butter and the egg yolk. Pulse in food processor, or mix with an electric mixer, until crumbly.
- Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture in an even layer into the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch springform or tart pan.
- Arrange the plums in the pan, skin side down, to form a flower pattern; begin at the outside and work your way in.
- sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake the tart for 40 to 50 minutes, or until it’s lightly browned and the plum juices are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and transfer the tart to a flat plate. Serve warm.
Note: Adjust amount of sugar according to tartness of the fruit that is being used. This dessert can also be cooked in a brownie pan instead of a tart pan.